Thursday, March 17, 2011

Design Concept 2

Here are a few pages from my sketchbook of what I’ve conceived for the building design. I looked at folding architecture as a design inspiration, but Vince mentioned that it was a fad that withered away in the late 90s… so I decided to bring it back. I’m trying to create a more dynamic form, which much like folding architecture allows for floors to become ceilings and ceilings to become walls and walls to become floors (the circle of life). By doing this I,’m creating distinct spaces for each program that allows for different views between each one. Also, the atrium space that in my sketches looks like it’s 200 meters tall, will need to be scaled properly because it will probably be less than half of what you see. The atrium will also serve as a light tunnel, as I am focusing on light as my major design theme. Also, a way-back to Cultura, the edge of the form will be lit *Thanks Vince. That is all for now!



1 comment:

  1. You need not feel compelled to light up the edges - it can be much better than what you find in the banal treatment found on the Cosmopolitan. Architecture should also deal with the development of the spaces as opposed to a preoccupation with the technical components that frame them. Develop the atria with a high degree of depth and issues pertaining to materiality, light, use, and ambiance will arise that may serve to provide a tool for consistency throughout the design - including the exterior you seem to be preoccupied with.

    ReplyDelete